Inspiration for this project came from the Rockler steamer trunk and the changes Marc made for the lid. I changed the lid further making it a little taller so that I could fit the tray (made of regular walnut). I also reinforced the top because I know my son Luke is going to sit and stand on it (and he’s a chunkster!) I made through mortises that can be seen front and back of the lid. The rest of the project I followed a combination of the plans and Marc’s videos from TWW. I used Peruvian walnut which was really nice to use, reminded me of mahogany. The Zebrawood is really porous and I found myself dealing with a lot of tear out. I was OK with the tear out because it gave the project a rustic quality.
The finish was Boiled Linseed Oil, two coats which I allowed two weeks to dry. I put a finishing coat of General Finishes Enduro-Var. Last a little wax. The only problem that I had was that the inside of the trunk smelled REALLY bad!